What are Solar Prominences?
- Prominences appear red and flame like and extend high above the
- Prominences appear in the corona.
- They can stretch up to tens of thousands of km above the
surface of the Sun.
- Evidence suggests that they are caused by local changes in
- Due to high magnetic fields they can turn into slow moving loops.
- Material is NOT shot upward from the Sun. Gas condenses at
the top of the arch and moves downward along closed paths.
- Quiescent prominences are the longest lasting of all the different
- The most well developed prominences might last as long as several,
months, but more typically the lifetime is about one month.
Back to Homepage